This month starts our first ever reader question and answer column.
Our question is from Olivia, a 9 year old girl.
Question: Can kids work at the Genesee Country Village & Museum? At Laura Ingalls Wilder Day last year there were kids who looked like they worked there?
Answer: Well Olivia, there are a number of volunteer opportunities in the village for children! Volunteers need to be at least 10 years old and volunteers that are 10 & 11 need to have a parent or guardian present. Children 12 and up can volunteer on their own.
Kids can volunteer:
- At our historic baseball program to act as bat boys or roustabouts in the stands. We also have kids placed in the stands with baskets of 19th century toys to share with the crowd.
- Working in the kitchen alongside out interpreters in one of our newest kid friendly hands-on spaces in the MacKay kitchen.
- Helping out in the kitchens on tasting weekends and special event weekends such as the Laura Ingalls event.
- Helping out in Thomson's tavern with period games & toys.
- For those a little older, you can apprentice as a potter, tinsmith or at the Altay store.
Have a question? We would be happy to answer it! Just click the email link on the right hand side of the blog!